UPDATED - MARCH 6, 2013:
ln a case of last but not least, the 2013 Geneva International Motor Show may be the last major European auto show of the winter season, but in terms of new product introductions it is in many ways unequalled.
As always, Geneva is a focal point for exotic supercars and specialty car builders, but there's also plenty of bread-and-butter product being introduced on the show's media preview days, March 5 and 6.
Following is a listing of some of those products that may be of particular interest to us here in North America.
We'll update details of these cars as the show progresses:
- Alfa Romeo 4C - Rear-wheel-drive high-performance coupe will be the entry vehicle for Alfa's return to North America late in 2013.
- Aston Martin Rapide S - More luxurious and more powerful, the Rapide S is Aston Martin'd most-powerful four-door ever.
- Audi A3 e-tron
- Audi RS Q3 - Last year's Beijing-show concept becomes a reality as the Q3 becomes the first Audi SUV to get the full RS performance treatment.
- Audi S3 Sportback
- Bentley Flying Spur - Powerful new flagship Bentley four-door combines elegant new styling and a contempoary cabin design with traditional hand-crafted luxury.
- BMW 3 Series GT
- Chevrolet Corvette Convertible - General Motors drops the top on the all-new seventh-generation Corvette.
- Citroën C3 Hybrid Air
- Ferrari LaFerrari - Long awaited Ferrari Enzo successor finally arrives with a Formula-One inspired HY-KERS hybrid powertrain.
- Honda Civic wagon concept
- Jeep Compass
- Kia Provo - Funky Euro-designed sports-hatchback concept could provide clues to the looks of the next-generation Kia Soul.
Lamborghini Veneno - All angles and edges, Lamborgini's $3.9-million supercar, of which only three will be built, is a throwback to the Countach school of over-the-top styling.
- Land Rover Defender EV prototype - It's just a research vehicle, but at an interesting concept nonetheless. All that low speed electric motor torque might be just the ticket off-road.
- Land Rover Range Rover Evoque nine-speed - Land Rover says the 2014 Evoque will feature the world's first nine-speed automatic transmission for a passenger car - if Chrysler doesn't get one into production first.
- McLaren P1 - Like LaFerrari, Mclaren's latest supercar offering will be a hybrid, but in this case it's a plug-in.
- Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale
- Mitsubishi CA-MiEV
- Peugeot 2008 HYbrid Air
- Rolls-Royce Wraith - Most-powerful Rolls-Royce ever is a fastback coupe with a sumptuous and contemporary yacht-inspired interior.
- Subaru VIZIV concept - Hybrid-powered future-generation crossover concept showcases a new Subaru design philosophy.
- Toyota FT-86 (Scion FR-S) Open Concept - Said to be just an exercise to guage public reaction, it's a safe bet that this convertible will get to market as a Scion FR-S here in North America.
- Volkswagen Golf (Jetta) Wagon - Marketed as a Golf in Europe, expect to see a Jetta Wagon nameplate on this new hauler when it gets to North America.