Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Canadian auto sales on record pace through August

FCA (formerly Chrysler) maintains a solid lead over Ford for the top sales spot

Published: September 2, 2015, 12:45 PM
Updated: April 29, 2018, 1:42 PM

Buying a car - Buying a car 

Recession? What recession? Canadians just keep on buying cars!

For the sixth month in a row, new-vehicle sales in Canada set a new monthly record in August, as they continue on their path to what could be a third-consecutive record year.

Total sales of 175,512 vehicles were up just 2.2% from the same month last year, but that modest increase pushed year-to-date sales to1,286,795 vehicles, almost 29,000 ahead of where they were at this time a year ago – and 2014 went on to set an all-time record of more than 1.85-million annual sales.

“With (the recent) announcement that Canada was in a technical recession for the first two quarters of 2015, it is a bit surprising that vehicle sales continue to advance at record levels unabated,” said David Adams, president of the Global Automakers of Canada (GAC).

FCA maintains sales leadership

FCA (that's what Chrysler is called now) was once again the top-selling manufacturer in August – although its sales increased just 0.4% over last year. That was enough to outpace Ford, whose sales fell by 5.0%, albeit by just 349 vehicles.

2016 Chrysler 200

Year-to-date, however, FCA holds a solid lead of almost 16,000 units over Ford for first place. Well back in third is General Motors, although it continues to make gains, surpassing the market average with sales up 11.5% in August and 6.1% year-to-date.

Toyota (-3.5%) maintained its perennial fourth-place position for the month, ahead of a resurgent Honda ( 10.1%). Completing the top ten were Hyundai, Nissan, Volkswagen, Mazda and Kia in that order.

The same ranking order applies for year-to-date sales as well, although those last three are in a close fight for position. They are separated by less than 3,000 vehicles year-to-date.

Trucks and luxury vehicles remain strong

Truck sales (which include CUVS/SUVs) improved by 10.0% relative to last August, while passenger car sales declined by 8.9%. Those changes pushed trucks' market share to 60.9%, year-to-date, leaving passenger cars just 39.1% of the market.

2015 Ford F150

Most luxury brands continued to post strong growth in August with only Jaguar and BMW lagging behind the market average.

Year-to-date, Mercedes-Benz continues to be the best-selling luxury marque, with a significant advantage over BMW. Next in line is Audi, followed by Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Land Rover, Porsche, Volvo and Jaguar, in that order.

The Ford F-Series continued to be the best-selling truck and the best-selling vehicle through August and the Honda Civic maintained its position as the best-selling passenger car.

[NOTE: Data quoted in this report were sourced from DesRosiers Automotive Consultants, Global Automakers of Canada and individual automakers.]