Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

GM opens new IT Innovation Center

Expects to hire up to 1,500 high tech employees

Published: October 8, 2012, 6:00 PM

GM IT innovation center

General Motors announced the opening of a new Information Technology Innovation Center in Warren, Mich., where they're expected to hire up to 1,500 high-tech employees over the next few years. The Center is the second of four planned facilities for the U.S.; the first, announced last month, will mean 500 new jobs for Texans in Austin.

"We're currently seeking the next generation of game-changers to help us usxher in a new age of automotive innovation at GM," said GM chief information officer Randy Mott.

The company said in-sourcing IT services as part of an ovearl "IT transformation." Positions will include software development, project management, database management and business analysis. The company will be recruiting at job fairs on U.S. college campuses this fall.

Mott, who became CIO in February, said the locations of the other centers would based on the quality of talent available, including proximity to universities.

Information Week says GM has relied on outsourcers for 90% of its IT work historically, but that Mott's intention was to reverse the percentage, bringing 90% of the company's IT work in-house and using outsourcing for the remaining 10%. It's a tall order for Mott, who is faced with bringing a new culture of IT and collaboration with the rest of the company to GM.