IMAGE NOT FOUND IN LOCAL DB! PLEASE RE-ADDWardAuto this week announced its 10 Best Interiors for 2013 and the list ran the gamut with representation from luxury brands, luxury sedans, trucks, imports, domestics, tiny wee runabouts and more.
"This year's batch of winners really drives home the point that auto interiors are vital in the battle for consumers' hearts and minds," said WardsAuto World Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter. "It wasn't uncommon all that long ago for automakers to view interiors as the best place to take cost out of a vehicle program. They eventually figured out that's a big mistake, because people spend a lot more time looking at the inside of their car than the outside."
The publication's editors looked at a field of 46 vehicles with new or significantly redesigned interiors to come up with their Top 10 using criteria that included comfort, materials, fit and finish, control layout and use, technology user interface, safety, value, and overall design.
The top 10 (2013 models except where noted) in alphabetical order were ...
- Acura RDX compact luxury crossover, cited for "upscale sportiness" and a large cargo area
- Cadillac XTS full-size sedan, cited for being "thoroughly modern and intuitive"
- Chevy Spark five-door hatchback, cited for an impressive list of features at a low price point
- Hyundai Santa Fe Sport CUV, cited for its "decidedly premium look and feel"
- 2014 Kia Forte coupe, five-door and four-door hatch, cited for demonstrating the "big strides" in small car interiors in recent years
- Lexus GS 450h midsize hybrid luxury sedan, cited for offering an optional "Bamboo" wood trim its gas-powered sibling doesn't, which "brightens the cabin like a perfect sunset"
- 2014 Mazda Mazda6 midsize family sedan, cited for value, attention to detail, and its excellent infotainment system
- Nissan Pathfinder seven-passenger SUV, cited for a warm, inviting, spacious and "ready for anything" interior
- Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn pickup truck, cited for a "spectacular" and "emotive" interior
- Toyota Avalon full-size SUV, cited for taking "the traditional full-size sedan interior to a new level" with "impeccable" build quality, "benchmark" material and "exquisite" visual effect